Monday, December 15, 2008

Ephemera



As I reported last time, I finally unearthed the stash of medals that were donated along with this collection. Many of these medals were made by Tiffany & Co., the company famous for both its little blue box and because of . . . that movie. You know which one I'm talking about.


You may remember from this post that Tiffany was a member of the Chamber and also designed many of their invitations in the early 20th century.

Anyway, as an early holiday treat, here's a look at some of my favorites. This one, made by Tiffany, commemorates the opening of the NYC subway in 1902, which the Chamber was an instrumental proponent of--I think the front was meant to be personalized:




This one, also by Tiffany, commemorates the opening ceremony of the NYCC's building on 65 Liberty Street in lower Manhattan:




This is some sort of acknowledgment of the New York Stock Exchange, though I don't know when it was made or what it was for exactly:




Most of these medals are engraved with the name of their maker, but only a few are still housed in their original box. The Tiffany medals sit in a velvet bed and the lining seems like silk:


And one last medal, from the Paris Chamber of Commerce:


I apologize for the spotty photo quality--it has been a rather busy couple of weeks! Does anyone else think its weird that people used to make commemorative medals all of the time? Does anyone still do this?

I will be on vacation for the next couple of weeks, so no more posts until the new year. I hope everyone has a wonderful holiday season.



Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: